NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Kuwait?
Kuwait has many bilateral or multilateral visa agreements with different countries all over the world that eliminates lengthy visa processes. Citizens of listed countries below are allowed to stay in Kuwait without a visa or can apply for an e-visa, given that they do not take up employment.
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia*
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates*
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
*Citizens of GCC countries are eligible for a visa-free entry to Kuwait.
Countries that are not listed above have to apply for a visa beforehand to visit Kuwait through its embassies or outsourced visa companies.
Kuwait Visa Types
We covered Kuwait visa types that vary depending on the duration and purpose of the stay.
C Type (Short-Term) Visas
Depending on your purpose of visit that is limited to 90 days or less in a 180 days period to Kuwait; it is possible for you to obtain one of the following visa types.
Kuwait Touristic Visa
A Kuwait touristic visa issued for individuals or groups who wish to visit Kuwait for sightseeing purposes. It is possible to obtain a Kuwait tourist visa through consulates, online e-visa system, authorized businesses, or travel agencies.
Kuwait Business or Fair Participation Visa
A Kuwait business or fair participation visa is granted for individuals who are planning to visit the country for business-related purposes such as meetings, events, business fairs, or unpaid trainings without labor or gainful employment. In order to get the visa, the applicant must have a sponsor that can provide documents including but not limited to a guarantee letter clearly stating the purpose of visit, commercial information regarding both receiving and invited businesses, and filled security forms.
Kuwait Family, Relative or Friend Visit Visa
A Kuwait family, relative, or friend visit visa is issued for individuals who wish to visit a family member or a friend residing in Kuwait. In order to get the visa, it is required for applicants to include an invitation letter from the person whom you are visiting in addition to other necessary sponsorships documents such as proof of relationship and salary certificates.
Kuwait Cultural, Sports or Conference Visit Visa
A Kuwait cultural, sports, or conference visit visa is granted for individuals or groups that are going to attend a cultural event or activity held in Kuwait. An invitation from the receiving association and confirmation documents from the sending association must be included in the application.
Kuwait Short-Term Education or Internship Visa
A Kuwait short-term education or internship visa is issued for students who intended to study in the country for educational purposes. The applicant has to provide documents including but not limited to sufficient means of subsistence, proof of adequate accommodation as well as an admission letter from the receiving institution.
D Type (Long-Term) Visa
Kuwait category D visas are required for stays that exceed a three month period with varying purposes in Kuwait even if the applicant’s nationality is on the visa-free list and they are not to be confused with permanent residence permits. It is possible for you to apply for a long-term visa to Kuwait if you are one of the following:
- A student planning to study at a higher education institution, have a language course, or long-term internship
- An employee going to work for a Kuwait-located business or for seasonal employment
- An academic, researcher, or scientist to work in a certified Kuwait research center
- An individual whose family member is a Kuwait citizen
- A patient going to receive a long-term medical treatment in a Kuwait-located medical institution
- A private entrepreneur who is a founder of a legal or physical entity that will provide economic benefit to Kuwait
Kuwait Transit Visa
A Kuwait transit visa is asked from individuals whose nationality is not eligible to transit another destination from Kuwait and if the individual is going to stay in the country for more than 24 hours. The visa authorizes the individual to travel a third country from the territory of Kuwait and can be issued for up to seven days.
General Requirements to Apply for Kuwait Visa
In order to successfully obtain a Kuwait visa, it is important to be prepared and gather all the necessary information regarding your nationality and purpose of visit beforehand. There are certain stages to obtain a Kuwait visa:
Certain nationalities mentioned above can apply a Kuwait touristic visa through its online visa system. Fill out the required information including details of your passport and upload necessary documents. Wait for your application to be processed.
Check Your Application Online
You can trace your Kuwait visa application with the provided reference number from here. If your application is approved, you will be notified via email. You should print the confirmation document and bring it with you when you travel to Kuwait.
Kuwait Visa Applications
You are required to present the following documents to the relevant consulate if your nationality is not eligible for a visa-free entry or e-visa to Kuwait:
- A duly completed application form
- Two recent photographs
- Valid original passport and a copy
- Medical travel insurance
- Proof of accommodation and sufficient financial means
- Latest bank statements
There are additionally required or supporting documents from certain applicants:
- An employment certificate from the employer
- Payroll receipts of recent months
- A copy of the last income tax or relevant bank statements or documents
- Proof of business such as bank statements, invoices or receipts
- Proof of pension
- Proof of estate ownership if applicable
- A copy of a recent letter confirming the enrollment of the applicant in the country of citizenship.
- Sponsorship documents if the applicant cannot support himself/herself financially during the period of the stay
What is Visa Sponsorship for Kuwait?
Visa sponsorship is required in Kuwait if the applicant cannot cover his/her expenses for educational or touristic purposes by own in the duration of the stay. A sponsor could be a parent, sibling, other relatives, or a friend. The required documents from the sponsor are:
- A guarantee letter clearly states the relationship with the applicant, how and what expenses are going to be covered by the sponsor, and contact details of both the applicant and sponsor
- A notarized invitation letter with accommodation details if the sponsor is a resident or citizen of Kuwait
- A scanned copy of ID or passport
- Proof of sufficient funds such as bank statements or paychecks
- Proof of estate or business ownership if applicable
If you are planning to visit Kuwait with for visiting or business purposes, it is also required for you to have a sponsor who is a citizen or resident in Kuwait. Keep in mind that there might be additionally asked supporting documents while applying for a visa with a sponsorship. You can check our website for more details about visa sponsorships.
Kuwait Visa Rules
There are many countries across the globe can enter Kuwait without a visa or can apply for one through an online visa application system. In order to obtain a Kuwait visa you need to take consideration of following visa rules:
- Your passport must be valid for more than six months from the expected day of arrival to Kuwait with at least two blank pages
- Visa fee must be paid in cash for visa on arrivals and should be in Kuwaiti dinars.
Kuwait Visa Requirements
Kuwait Visa Requirements for Schengen Countries
Citizens of Schengen countries should not have any problems while entering Kuwait since they are eligible for an e-visa and visa on arrival to the country.
Kuwait Visa Requirements for USA, UK, and Canada
Citizens of the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada can enter Kuwait without a visa if:
- Their passport is valid for more than six months from the expected time of arrival to Kuwait,
- They can present proof of sufficient financial means,
- Their purpose of visit is clear and documented,
Kuwait Visa Requirements for GCC Countries
Gulf Cooperation Council (Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia) nationals can enter Kuwait without a visa even if they do not have passports. However, holders of permanent or temporary residence permits issued by GCC states are subject to a visa to visit Kuwait and can apply for a visa online. GCC residents can obtain a Kuwait visa for up to 90 days, only touristic purposes. Required documents from GCC residents are:
- A valid passport
- A scanned copy of the GCC residence document
After the application is approved, the applicant will receive the visa through e-mail and expected to present it at the border control.
Kuwait Visa Requirements for Israel Citizens
Israel citizens, permanent or temporary Israel residents cannot visit Kuwait, excluding certain circumstances that require special permissions.
Kuwait Visa Requirements for Ethiopia Citizens
Although there is not an official law banning Ethiopia citizens from entering the country, Kuwait does not issue visas to the citizens of Ethiopia.
Kuwait Visa Fees
Kuwait short-stay visa types listed below exclusively include the visa. Keep in mind that there might be additional payments expected from the applicant such as consular fees, service fees of the outsourced visa companies, or application form fees.
The current Kuwait visa fees valid as of March 2020 are as follows:
|Single Entry Tourism Visa
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions