NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Azerbaijan?
Although Azerbaijan does only have a couple of bilateral or multilateral visa-free agreements with other countries, the country offers an online visa system called “ASAN” that eliminates lengthy visa processes for more than 90 nationalities around the world. We listed those countries that are eligible for an online visa or a visa-free entry to Azerbaijan below.
* Countries that are eligible for a visa-free entry to Azerbaijan for 90 days within a 180 days period.
** Türkiye citizens are exempt from a visa to Azerbaijan for a duration of 30 days.
***United States nationals can also obtain a visa on arrival by traveling with a New York-Baku direct flight.
In addition to these, individuals who have a residence permit from Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, or Kuwait with an accompanying person of the country that issued the residence permit can both obtain a visa on arrival that is valid for 30 days in Azerbaijan.
Countries that are not listed above have to apply for a visa through embassies beforehand to visit Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan Visa Types
We covered Azerbaijan visa types that vary depending on the duration and purpose of the stay.
C Type (Short-Term) Visas
Depending on your purpose of the visit that is limited to 90 days or less in a 180 days period to Azerbaijan; it is possible for you to obtain one of the following visa types.
Azerbaijan Touristic Visa
An Azerbaijan touristic visa issued for individuals or groups who wish to visit Azerbaijan for sightseeing purposes. It is possible to enter the country without a visa for many nationalities around the world with a duration of up to 90 days. If your nationality is not eligible for a visa-free entry to Azerbaijan, it is expected from you to provide additional documents regarding sufficient financial means, proof of accommodation and travel insurance which are valid through the duration of the stay and a return flight ticket.
Azerbaijan Business or Fair Participation Visa
An Azerbaijan business or fair participation visa is granted for individuals who are planning to visit the country for business-related purposes such as meetings, events, business fairs, or unpaid trainings without labor or gainful employment. Invitation documents from professional chambers and organizations are must be included in the application.
Azerbaijan Family, Relative or Friend Visit Visa
An Azerbaijan family, relative, or friend visit visa is issued for individuals who wish to visit a family member or a friend residing in Azerbaijan. In order to get one, it is vital to include an invitation letter from the person whom you are visiting.
Azerbaijan Cultural, Sports or Conference Visit Visa
An Azerbaijan cultural, sports, or conference visit visa is granted for individuals or groups that are going to attend a cultural event or activity held in Azerbaijan. An invitation from the receiving association and confirmation documents from the sending association must be included in the application.
Azerbaijan Short-Term Education or Internship Visa
An Azerbaijan short-term education or internship visa is issued for international students who wish to study in Azerbaijan for university projects or special occasions for less than three months. The applicant has to include documents of sufficient means of subsistence, proof of accommodation, and admission letter from the receiving institution.
D Type (Long-Term) Visa
Azerbaijan category D visas are required for stays that exceed a three month period with varying purposes in Azerbaijan even if the applicant’s nationality is on the visa-free list. It is possible for you to apply for a long-term visa to Azerbaijan if you are one of the following:
- A student planning to study at a higher education institution, have a language course, or long-term internship
- An employee going to work for an Azerbaijan -located business
- An academic, researcher or scientist to work in a certified Azerbaijan research center
- An individual whose family member is an Azerbaijan citizen
- A patient going to receive medical treatment in an Azerbaijan -located medical institution
Azerbaijan Transit Visa
Although Azerbaijan does not require a transit visa if an individual or group does not leave the international transit area at the airports, it is possible to apply for an Azerbaijan transit visa that is valid for five days.
General Requirements to Apply for Azerbaijan Visa
In order to successfully obtain an Azerbaijan visa, it is important to be prepared and gather all the necessary information regarding your nationality and purpose of visit beforehand. There are certain stages to obtain an Azerbaijan visa:
Complete Online Visa Application Form
An Azerbaijan touristic visa is issued through an online application form that you should fill and sign with all required documents attached. You will be informed after a processing time if the application is meets all required regulations or.
After the Confirmation of Visa
If your application is approved, you can print the confirmation document and bring it with you when you travel to Azerbaijan with additional required documents at hand.
Azerbaijan Visa Applications
You are required to present the following documents if your nationality is not eligible for a visa-free entry or an online visa to Azerbaijan:
- Completed visa application form
- A passport that is valid for more than three months
- Two biometric passport photographs
- Travel insurance
- Visa fee receipt
- Purpose of invitation if applicable
There are additionally required or supporting documents from certain applicants:
- Employment contract
- A letter from the company that states your absence, duration of the stay, and confirms returning to current job
- Bank statement of the last six months
- A copy of a recent letter confirming the enrollment of the applicant in the country of citizenship.
- Sponsorship documents if the applicant cannot support himself/herself financially during the period of the stay
- Copy of business license
- Company bank statement of last six months
- Prior accreditation from the ministry of foreign affairs
What is Visa Sponsorship for Azerbaijan?
A visa sponsorship is required in Azerbaijan if the applicant cannot cover his/her expenses for educational or touristic purposes by own in the duration of the stay. A sponsor could be a parent, sibling, other relatives, or a friend. However, it would increase chances to obtain a visa if the sponsor is a first-degree relative and has a permanent residence permit or citizenship in Azerbaijan. The required documents should be included by the sponsor are:
- A confirmation letter clearly states the relationship with the applicant, how and what expenses are going to be covered by the sponsor, and contact details of both the applicant and sponsor
- An invitation letter with accommodation details if the sponsor is a resident or citizen of Azerbaijan
- A scanned copy of ID or passport of both the applicant and the sponsor
- Proof of sufficient funds such as bank statements or paychecks
- Proof of estate or business ownership if applicable
- Receipt of the state fee for the application
A visa sponsorship for Azerbaijan can also be granted for long-term stays regarding business, legal, or cultural purposes in special circumstances by legal entities, businesses, or individuals. You can check our website for more details.
Azerbaijan Visa Rules
There are many countries across the globe can enter Azerbaijan without a visa or can apply for one through its online visa application system. In order to obtain an Azerbaijan visa you need to take consideration of following visa rules:
- The passport should be valid for more than three months from the expected day of arrival to Azerbaijan.
- A notarized copy of a birth certificate and documented permission of both parents, as well as copy of their ID, should be included for underaged travelers.
- The electronic visa should be printed and presented together with a passport at a border checkpoint.
- Armenia citizens cannot enter Azerbaijan; excluding certain circumstances that needs special permissions.
- Foreign citizens who have visited the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh area after 1991 cannot enter Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan Visa Requirements
Azerbaijan Visa Requirements for GCC Countries
Gulf Cooperation Council nationals (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia) can be granted a single entry electronic visa to Azerbaijan at the international airports.
Azerbaijan Visa Requirements for Armenia Citizens
Armenia citizens and citizens of any other country from Armenian descent are banned from entering Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan Visa Fees
Azerbaijan visa types listed below exclusively includes the visa fee. Keep in mind that there might be additional payments expected from the applicant such as consular fees, service fees of the outsourced companies, or application form fees.
The current Azerbaijan visa fees valid as of March 2020 are as follows:
|Single Entry Visa
|Multiple Entry Visas
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions