NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Georgia?
In principle, nationals of foreign countries shall apply for entry visas in order to travel to Georgia. However, under certain conditions citizens of certain countries are exempted from visa requirements. The extensive list of countries whose nationals may travel to Georgia without a visa obligation can be reached online.
Georgia Visa Types
Georgian visa categories can be broadly identified as diplomatic, special, ordinary, immigration and transit visas. Then, there are single or multiple-entry visas that distinguish the short vs. long term stay of its holder. Short-term single entry visa enable the visitor to travel to Georgia once for a maximum of 30 days in line with the indicated travel dates, whereas the total period of stay cannot exceed 90 days within 180 days. On the other hand, short-term multiple entry visa allows for consecutive visits not exceeding the time constraints and is granted upon fulfilling the condition of the applicant’s previous visit to Georgia within the past years.
Type C (Short-term Stay) Visa
Short-term visa is issued in line with the requested days indicated by the traveler for not more than 30 days. Short-term multiple entry visa is granted for a maximum of five years.
Georgia Tourist Visa
C1 visa is required for travels with tourism purposes to Georgia.
Georgia Visa for Business and Fair Visits
C3 category visa is applicable when one travels to Georgia with business related intentions whether to carry business meetings or to attend workshops and professional conferences.
Georgia Visa for Visit to Family, Relatives and Friends
People who would like to travel to Georgia in order to visit friends or family members shall apply for C2 category visa.
Georgia Visa for Cultural, Sports Activities and Participation to Conferences
Visits to Georgia with the purpose of attending cultural or sports related activities over short term periods are entitled to obtain C3 category visa.
Georgia Visa for Short-term Education and Traineeship
Short-term visits for education or training purposes also require C3 visa for terms of stay that are restricted to 90 days within 6 months period.
Type D (Long-term Stay) Visa
Long-term visa grants its holder the right to enter and stay in Georgia for a period up to one year with multiple entry possibility.
D1 visa is applicable when people are travelling to Georgia for work purposes whether through contracted work or with the intention of realizing entrepreneurial activity. People arriving to Georgia in order to presume scientific, cultural, sports or educational activities, freelancers and third country nationals travelling to Georgia as interns or volunteers are entitled to apply for D2 category visa. On the other hand, D3 category visa is issued for study or research activities at designated Georgian institutions.
Travel purposes relating to family reunification cases shall apply for D4 visa, whereas D5 category visa is required for people who have the property ownership rights with a value more than 100.000 US dollars in Georgia.
Georgia Transit Visa
Transit visa is issued for passengers who are having a stopover in Georgia to travel to third countries. It is granted for a maximum period of 10 days.
General Requirements to Apply for Georgia Visa
Georgia’s tourist visa requirements and application procedures are explained for specific categories below. In general, applicants must submit their applications comprising of the requested documents to the Diplomatic Mission or authorized visa application centers in due time. Please bear in mind that the necessary documents may differ depending on the term and purpose of your stay, hence the category of your visa.
Georgia Visa Applications
- A passport with at minimum two blank pages and is valid for at least 90 days after the end of travel. Copy of the first page including personal data and previous visas if obtained.
- Completed and signed visa application form along with one color biometric photo that is not older than 6 months.
- Proof of travel with confirmed both-way tickets.
- Bank account details proving that the passenger can sufficiently fund his/her travel.
- Evidence of occupation in the form of certified documents through employer letter, student certificate, document of registration or demonstration of pension funds.
- Accommodation details through an invitation letter or proof of your hotel reservation throughout your stay.
- Documentation of travel health insurance.
There are specific documents to attach to your application dossier depending on your status of employment.
- Employment contract (original certificate of employment indicating the position in the company and the salary)
- Bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Approval letter of leave from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of business license (company registration)
- Company’s bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Documentation of University enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school management
- Pension statement documenting the past 6 months
- Proof of financial resources is nevertheless required
- If the person is not able to finance his/her own expenses, proof of a sponsor is mandatory.
What is Visa Sponsorship for Georgia?
Students or unemployed/retired people who are not in a position to cover their own travel expenses will need to demonstrate support from a sponsor who will borne the full costs. The sponsor is entitled to certain requirements. Hence, only first grade relatives can fulfill this position. You can check our website for all the relevant details.
Georgia Visa Rules
- As a rule, applicants shall personally submit their visa applications in due time, with all the necessary documents, at the Georgian Diplomatic Mission authorized in their place of residence.
- Citizens of certain countries may apply for electronic visas. In that case, travelers are not asked to make visa applications in person but they can follow the entire procedure on the e-Visa portal. E-visa is usually processed in five calendar days.
- Beware that since South Ossetia and Abkhazia are territories of dispute between Russia and Georgia, entry to these regions from Russia is deemed as crime by Georgian authorities.
Georgia Visa Requirements
In addition to above mentioned application documents, general requirements include:
Georgia visa requirements for Non-Europeans
Foreigners may plan their trips to Georgia through the online platform where complete list of non-European countries whose citizens are part of the visa-free regime are indicated. Additionally, the citizens of countries who are eligible to apply on the e-Visa portal can reach all information apart from the above mentioned general requirements.
Georgia visa for European countries
Citizens of European Union member states can benefit from visa-free travel opportunities to Georgia and travel with their national identity cards.
Georgia visa requirement for Russian citizens
Nationals coming from Russian Federation and Ukraine are not requested an entry visa to visit Georgia for stays not exceeding 90 days.
Georgia Visa Fees
You can find below fixed fees for different types of Georgian visas determined by authorities as of March 2020. The visa fee comprises of 20 US dollars plus the 2% service fee. However, please keep in mind that under specific conditions some applicants may be exempt from visa fees or benefit from reduced prices. The visa fee is non-refundable, thus in the case of rejection of your application reimbursements are not available.
|Short-Stay Visa (Adults)
|Airport Transit Visa
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions