NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Egypt?
Egypt has an online visa system that eliminates lengthy visa processes for many countries all over the world and it is possible for various nationalities to get a visa online. It is also possible for some countries to visit Egypt without a visa or obtain a visa on arrival with varying durations.
- Costa Rica*****
- Czech Republic*
- El Salvador*****
- Holy See**
- Hong Kong***
- New Zealand*
- North Macedonia*
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines*****
- Saudi Arabia***
- South Korea*
- United Arab Emirates***
- United Kingdom*
- United States of America*
*Citizens of these countries are eligible to obtain a visa on arrival or can apply for an e-visa before their arrival to Egypt.
**Citizens of these countries are eligible to apply for an e-visa to Egypt.
***Countries those are eligible for visa-free entry to Egypt for 90 days in 180 days period.
****Malaysia citizens can stay in Egypt for up to 14 days without a visa.
*****Visa-free entry to tourists groups that can provide return flight tickets, documents of accommodation, and guarantee letter from an authorized travel agency.
Countries that are not listed above have to apply for a visa beforehand to visit Egypt through its consulates around the world.
Egypt Visa Types
We covered Egypt visa types that vary depending on the duration and purpose of the stay.
C Type (Short-Term) Visas
Depending on your purpose of visit that is limited to 90 days or less in a 180 days period to Egypt; it is possible for you to obtain one of the following visa types.
Egypt Touristic Visa
An Egypt tourist visa is issued for tourists who are planning to visit the country for tourism purposes and is the most issued type of visa for the country. It is possible to obtain an Egypt tourist visa through its consulates, online visa system, outsourced visa companies, or authorized travel agencies both for individuals and groups.
Egypt Business or Fair Participation Visa
An Egypt business or fair participation visa is granted for individuals who are planning to visit the country for business-related purposes such as meetings, events, business fairs, or unpaid trainings without labor or gainful employment. Invitation documents from professional chambers and organizations are must be included to the application.
Egypt Family, Relative or Friend Visit Visa
An Egypt family, relative, or friend visit visa is issued for individuals who wish to visit a family member or a friend residing in Egypt. In order to get the visa, it is required for applicants to include an invitation letter from the person whom you are visiting in addition to other necessary documents.
Egypt Cultural, Sports or Conference Visit Visa
An Egypt cultural, sports, or conference visit visa is granted for individuals or groups that are going to attend a cultural event or activity held in Egypt. An invitation from the receiving association and confirmation documents from the sending association must be included in the application.
Egypt Short-Term Education or Internship Visa
An Egypt short-term education or internship visa is issued for students who intended to study in the country for educational purposes. The applicant has to include documents of sufficient means of subsistence, proof of adequate accommodation as well as an admission letter from the receiving institution.
D Type (Long-Term) Visa
Egypt category D visas are required for stays that exceed a three month period with varying purposes in Egypt even if the applicant’s nationality is on the visa-free list. It is possible for you to apply for a long-term visa to Egypt if you are one of the following:
- A student planning to study at a higher education institution, have a language course, or long-term internship
- An employee going to work for an Egypt-located business or for seasonal employment
- An academic, researcher, or scientist to work in a certified Egypt research center
- An individual whose first-degree family member is an Egypt citizen
- A patient going to receive a long-term medical treatment in an Egypt-located medical institution
- A private entrepreneur who is a founder of a legal or physical entity that will provide economic benefit to Egypt
Egypt Transit Visa
An Egypt transit visa is asked from individuals whose transit at the relevant international airport will take more than 48 hours. An Egypt transit visa authorizes the individual to travel a third country from the territory of Egypt and can be issued for one or multiple transits.
General Requirements to Apply for Egypt Visa
In order to successfully obtain an Egypt visa, it is important to be prepared and gather all the necessary information regarding your nationality and purpose of the visit beforehand. While it is possible for some countries to apply for an Egypt e-visa online or obtain a visa on arrival, we covered the stages of obtaining an Egypt visa through its consulates.
Set Up an Appointment
It is crucial to contact the relevant Egyptian consulate to set up a date and time for a visa appointment via phone or email.
Complete Visa Application Form
It is possible to get the application form online or at the responsible embassy. You are required to complete the form in detail without any false information.
Submit the Application
Submit the application form and other necessary documents in person. Before your application, you are expected to pay the visa fee and include its receipt while submitting the documents.
Receive Your Visa
After processing time, you will be informed about the outcome of your visa application and the visa should be affixed to your passport if it is approved. You are required to retrieve your original passport from the relevant consulate.
Egypt Visa Applications
You are required to present the following documents if your nationality is not eligible for a visa-free entry to Egypt:
- Two copies of completed and signed application form
- Two recently taken photos
- A valid passport
- Proof of sufficient financial means such as bank statements or payroll
- Documents confirming the intended return including a return flight ticket
- Proof of accommodation
- Receipt of the visa payment
There are additionally required or supporting documents from certain applicants:
- Employment contract
- A letter from the company that states your absence, duration of the stay, and confirms returning to current job
- Bank statement of the last six months
- A copy of the last income tax or relevant bank statements or documents
- Proof of business such as bank statements, invoices or receipts
- Proof of enrollment and no objection certificate from the registered school
- Sponsorship documents if the applicant cannot support himself/herself financially during the period of the stay
What is Visa Sponsorship for Egypt?
Visa sponsorship is required in Egypt if the applicant cannot cover his/her expenses for educational or touristic purposes by own in the duration of the stay. A sponsor could be a parent, sibling, other relatives, or a friend. However, it would increase chances to obtain a visa if the sponsor is a first-degree relative or has a permanent residence permit or citizenship in Egypt. The required documents from the sponsor are:
- A confirmation letter clearly states the relationship with the applicant, how and what expenses are going to be covered by the sponsor, and contact details of both the applicant and sponsor
- An invitation letter with accommodation details if the sponsor is a resident or citizen of Egypt
- A scanned copy of ID or passport of both the applicant and the sponsor
- Proof of sufficient funds such as bank statements or paychecks
- Proof of estate or business ownership if applicable
Visa sponsorship for Egypt can also be granted for long-term or short-term stays regarding business, legal, or cultural purposes by legal entities, businesses, or individuals. You can check our website for more details about visa sponsorships.
Egypt Visa Rules
There are many countries across the globe can enter Egypt without a visa. If your country is not eligible for visa-free entry to Egypt, you need to obtain an Egypt visa and take consideration of the following visa rules:
- The passport should be valid for more than six months from the expected day of arrival to Egypt.
- It is important to apply for an e-visa to Egypt at least seven days prior to the intended date of arrival
- Approved e-visa should be printed and present while entering the country.
- If you are planning to obtain a visa on arrival to Egypt, you are expected to pay the fee in cash, in US dollars.
Egypt Visa Requirements
Egypt Visa Requirements for Schengen Countries
Citizens of Schengen countries should not have any problems while entering Egypt since they are eligible for an e-visa and visa on arrival to the country.
Egypt Visa Requirements for US, UK, and Canada
Egypt does not mandate a visa for the citizens of the US, UK, and Canada. They can enter Egypt with their passports that are valid for more than six months from the expected time of arrival to Egypt.
Egypt Visa Requirements for Israel Citizens
Israel citizens or individuals who visited Israel before are allowed to visit Egypt and normally should not encounter any problems while applying for an Egypt visa.
Egypt Visa Fees
Egypt short-stay visa types listed below exclusively include the visa. Keep in mind that there might be additional payments expected from the applicant such as consular fees, service fees of the outsourced visa companies, or application form fees.
The current Egypt visa fees valid as of March 2020 are as follows:
|Single Entry Tourism Visa
|Multiple Entry Tourism Visa
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions