NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Pakistan?
Foreign nationals must apply for entry visas in order to travel to Pakistan, however, certain countries may be exempt from visa regulations. Government of Pakistan has visa exemption agreements with 48 countries whose citizens can enter the country without acquiring any visa for determined periods. You can check out the list of countries with whom Pakistan has visa exemption agreements online.
Pakistan Visa Types
Pakistan visa types are broadly categorized as tourist visa, family visit or business visa, student visa and pilgrimage visa. Nationals of 50 countries who are listed here are granted visa on arrival including for individual or group tourists. Further distinctions are drawn between List A vs. List B countries. Applicants of 175 countries are regarded as eligible to apply for electronic visas. Single or multiple-entry visas are distinguished based on the total length of stay of its holder.
Type C (Short-term Stay) Visa
Short-term visa is issued for predetermined periods in line with the applicant’s request for stays that are not exceeding 90 days.
Pakistan Tourist Visa
Tourist/visit visa is issued by authorized missions based on a categorisation of List A/List B countries. Pakistan tourist visa is valid for up to three months with the option of double entry for 190 countries included in the List A. List B countries include India and Somalia whose citizens cannot apply for visa-on-arrival. Pakistan tourist visa is issued to foreigners who would like to travel to the country for tourism and entertainment related purposes.
Pakistan Visa for Business and Fair Visits
Business visa is granted to foreign nationals who wish to visit Pakistan for business related reasons. Travelers may stay in Pakistan for up to five years. However, the applicants are urged to submit an invitation letter provided from the business counterpart, recommended by the respective trade organizations in Pakistan. E-business invitation letters can be requested online. The business visa is issued for multiple entries with the possibility of extension.
Pakistan Visa for Visit to Family, Relatives and Friends
Foreigners with Pakistani origin or those who are a spouse of a Pakistani citizen may apply for family visit visa with the intention of visiting family, relatives or friends. Applicants are requested to provide a marriage certificate, a birth certificate or a Pakistan Origin Card. Family visit visa allows the holder to visit Pakistan for up to 5 years with a stay duration of 1 year for each visit.
Pakistan Visa for Cultural or Sports Activities and Conference Participation
Third country nationals who would like to enter Pakistan with the purpose taking part in cultural or sports related events, can apply for “others” visa. Applicants are requested to apply six weeks before the intended event. An official invitation letter from the host organisation is required.
Pakistan is a famous destination for sports activities like trekking, therefore hosts people from all around the world. Foreigners may apply for the “Mountaineering and Trekking” visa for such purposes.
Christian missionaries who wish to take part in missionary activities within their religious communities can apply for missionary visa which is valid for one year.
Pakistan Visa for Short-Term Education and Traineeship
Foreigners who would like to visit Pakistan for short-term education or training purposes can apply for “Deeni Madaris Visa” or “study visa”. This visa allows the holder to stay in Pakistan for up to two years. Those who would like to stay in Pakistan for longer periods should obtain a residence permit.
Type D (Long-Term Stay) Visa
Long-term visa grants its holder the right to enter to Pakistan for extended periods. Foreigners who wish to enrol in an education institution in Pakistan shall obtain the student visa. Student visa is granted for up to two years with multiple entry possibility. Students who are under the legal age need written consent from their legal guardians. Admission documents to the Pakistani education institution is mandatory.
Third country nationals who wish to stay in Pakistan for work purposes for a longer period are required to apply for work visa. In order to be eligible, they need to be in possession of a valid job offer. Further eligibility requirements are; SECP registration letter of company, contact details of the sponsor including NTN certificate of the company and their employment details. Pakistan work visa is valid for up to one year with multiple entries.
Pakistan Transit Visa
Pakistan transit visa allows the holder to stop for a layover in a Pakistan’s airports temporarily. The traveller can spend a predetermined amount of time before their transfer to the next destination. For instance, transit visa is issued to Indian nationals who are passing through Pakistani city/ports. This visa is valid for 72 hours after entry and allows two entries per permit.
General Requirements to Apply for Pakistan Visa
Tourist visa requirements for Pakistan are explained in detail below. Please be aware of the fact that the required documents may differ depending on the term and purpose of your stay, hence the category of your visa. The authorised diplomatic missions reserve the right to request additional documents.
Pakistan Visa Applications
- A passport or travel document with two blank pages at the minimum; which is valid for at least six months and will be for at least 90 days after the end of travel. Copy of the first page, including personal data and previous visas (if obtained) also must be provided.
- Completed and signed visa application form along with two biometric photos that are not older than 6 months.
- Passport copy and personal photo requirements for the e-visa applications should be in line with the guidelines provided online.
- Proof of travel with confirmed two-way tickets.
- Bank account details proving that the passenger can sufficiently fund their travel.
- It is important that the applicant does not pose any threat to the public health, security, morals, or the economy of the nation. Hence, the applicant should not be charged with or convicted of a crime.
- Evidence of occupation in the form of certified documents such as; letter from an employer, student certificate, document of registration or demonstration of pension funds.
- Accommodation details through an invitation letter or proof of your hotel reservation throughout your stay.
- Documentation of travel health insurance.
There might be specific documents that need to be added to your application depending on your employment status.
- Employment contract (original certificate of employment indicating the position in the company and the salary)
- Bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Approval letter of leave from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of business license (company registration)
- Company’s bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Documentation of University enrolment
- No-objection certificate from school management
Pension statement documenting the past 6 months
- Proof of financial resources is required
- If the person is not able to finance his/her own expenses, proof of a sponsor is mandatory.
What is Visa Sponsorship for Pakistan?
Students or unemployed/retired people who are not in a position to cover their own travel expenses will need to demonstrate support from a sponsor who will bear all costs. The sponsor is beholden to certain requirements. Only first-degree relatives can fulfil this position. You can check our website for all the relevant details.
Pakistan Visa Rules
- Visa application procedure for Afghan citizens are processed separately. Afghan citizens coming from Afghanistan can obtain entry visa valid for six months with the possibility of re-entry. Citizens of Afghan origin who have third country passports are given a 45-day visa with the possibility of extending their stay for an additional 45 days.
- Visa-on-arrival is issued for group tourists coming from 24 tourist friendly countries. It permits the holder to stay for one month in Pakistan. In this case, the request for visa on arrival shall be submitted via authorised tour operators.
- Holders of Pakistan Origin Card, which is a national ID card for citizens living overseas, are exempt from any visa requirements.
- Please keep in mind that the entry requirements may differ based on country of application and the decisions of the specific embassy. It is strongly advised to double check with the local embassy of Pakistan in your country of residence before submitting your visa application.
Pakistan Visa Requirements
In addition to above mentioned application documents, general requirements include:
Pakistan Visa requirements for Non-Europeans
Foreigners can schedule their trips to Pakistan upon fulfilment of aforementioned conditions to obtain an entry visa in line with the nature of their visit. You should check if your country has visa abolishment agreement with Pakistan.
Pakistan Visa for Indian citizens
Indian citizens must apply for a visa to visit Pakistan. Applicants must hold a passport with at least one-year validity. There may be further regulations for Indian citizens travelling to Pakistan, such as obligatory police registration. Additionally, Indian citizens are not given tourist visas and can only obtain visas for family visit or business purposes. Their entry to Pakistan is restricted to designated ports.
Pakistan Visa requirement for US, UK, and Canadian citizens
- US citizens are granted multiple entry visas of five years with a maximum stay duration of three months in Pakistan.
- Visa applications of US and Canadian citizens fall under Electronic Travel Authorization category; therefore, they can apply for e-visas online.
Pakistan Visa Fees
The visa fees vary depending on the type of required visa. Pakistan visa fee includes the processing costs and is non-refundable, which means that the rejection of your application will not be reimbursed. You can calculate your visa fee online based on your visa category, entry type and application country.
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions