Transport in Ağrı
Ağrı is a fairly small city and in the centre you can get everywhere on foot. If you want to travel between districts in Ağrı there are plenty of public minibus services available, as well as municipal buses. Taxis are also available in the city.
About Ağrı Ahmed-i Hani Airport
Providing a practical, economical and comfortable travel experience, Pegasus uses Ağrı Ahmed-i Hani Airport (AJI), which is 9 km away from the city centre. This small, modern facility meets the basic needs of passengers. Within the terminal, you can purchase cheap tickets departing from Ağrı at the Pegasus office.
The domestic terminal offers facilities such as baby changing and prayer rooms.
You can use the airport shuttle service or taxis to get between Agri Ahmed-i Hani Airport and the city centre.
Ağrı Ahmed-i Hani Airport Telephone Number
0472 216 0400
What to Eat in Ağrı
- Gosteberg buğulama: This is Ağrı's most famous dish. Lamb or goat meat is stuffed in the animals skin along with gosteberg, an aromatic herb. This is cooked in a pit under an open fire.
- Çiriş ketesi: Pan cooked dishes are typical of Ağrı’s cuisine, but rather than a meat dish, this is closer to bread. The dough is stuffed with a local plant, ""çiriş otu"" and fried in an open pan. It's great for breakfast served with butter.
- Selekeli sac kavurma: Another of Ağrı’s famous pan dishes is ""selekeli sac kavurma"", diced lamb fried on a hot iron pan with peppers and tomatoes.
Where to Eat in Ağrı
- Doğubayazıt: You'll find Ağrı's best restaurants in Doğubayazıt.
- Ağrı Centre: For local cuisine in Ağrı you can explore the restaurants in the city centre.
- İsmail Beşikçi Caddesi: Doğubayazıt’s most lively street is also where you'll find the best restaurants in the city.
Ağrı Important Telephone Numbers
Country Code: +90
City Code: 0472
Places to see
Places to Visit in Ağrı
- Ağrı Dağı: On your trip to Ağrı, you'll have the chance to see Turkey's largest mountain. This natural wonder provided views that are simply breathtaking.
- Ishak Pasha Palace: This palace, which dates back to Ottoman times, is a giant structure which is comprised of hundreds of sections. Ishak Pasha Palace is not to be missed if you're a history buff.
- Urartian Castle: The Urartian castle is one of the oldest buildings in Ağrı. You'll come face-to-face with history here.
- Doğubayazıt: Doğubayazıt is one of the oldest districts of Ağrı and is where you'll find many of the city's historical monuments.
- Ice Caves: There are many unusual caves to visit around Ağrı. These particular caves can be traced to civilizations before the Common Era, and they're well worth the challenging journey.