Transport in Baku
Getting around on public transport in Baku is easy, with good metro and bus links around the city. You can get anywhere in the city centre at very low prices.
About Heydar Aliyev International Airport
Pegasus uses Heydar Aliyev International Airport for flights to Baku, which allows access to the city quickly and safely. This modern airport has everything you’ll need.
To reach the airport from the city centre, simply board the airport shuttle service or jump in a taxi. You can, of course, rent a vehicle too.
Heydar Aliyev International Airport Telephone Number
+994 12 497 27 27
What to Eat in Baku
- Plov is a kind of Azeri rice and similar to the pilau rice we're familiar with, but quite different in terms of its varieties. Shah plov, for example, is pilau rice covered with a special kind of flatbread and decorated with apricots.
- Lepeli Dolma: Another dish that comes to mind when Azerbaijani cuisine is mentioned is stuffed peppers (lepeli dolma). The recipe calls for bell peppers to be stuffed with diced meat, eggplant, tomatoes and rice.
- Düşbere: How about dumpling soup (düşbere)? It’s an Azeri favorite. Be sure to try it if you get the chance!
Where to Eat in Baku
- Bulvar (Coast): If you want to try exquisite dishes from around the world as well as outstanding examples of Azeri cuisine, Baku’s Bulvar area by the coast is the place to go. It’s easily accessible by metro, and Sahil is the name of the stop.
- If you're looking for somewhere else to enjoy food and drink in the city, get off at the Xetai metro stop and take a stroll around.
Important Telephone Numbers
Country code: +944
Places to see
Places to visit in Baku
- Palace of the Shirvanshahs: A masterpiece from the 15th century in the old city of Baku, the Palace of the Shirvanshahs. The structure was designed by Shirvanshah Shah Ibrahim Halilullah and was built to symbolize the glory of the state.
- Maiden Tower: Not only are the languages of Turkey and Azerbaijan close, their legends are too. Just like the Maiden's Tower in Istanbul, there’s also a Maiden Tower (Qiz Qalası) in Baku.
- Heydar Aliyev Cultural Centre: This cultural centre, named after Heydar Aliyev, is one of the must see places in Baku. Designed by Zaha Hadid, this building is a centre of art, culture and sports. You'll never be bored here!