NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Iraq?
In principle, nationals of all foreign countries shall apply for entry visas in order to travel to Iraq. Nevertheless, citizens of some states can obtain visas on arrival from designated airports including Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and United Arab Emirates.
Iraq Visa Types
Iraqi visa types are broadly categorized as ordinary visa, transit visa, transit visa without stop, diplomatic visa, service visa, emergency visa and a visit or tourist visa whose details are codified under Iraqi Law on Foreigners Residence No.118. Single or multiple-entry visas distinguish the term of stay of its holder. Short-term single-entry visa is valid for a period of up to three months in line with the indicated travel dates whereas short-term multiple entry visa can be issued for three, six months or one year.
Type C (Short-term Stay) Visa
Short-term visa is issued in line with the requested days indicated by the applicant for not more than 30 days.
Iraq Tourist Visa
Tourist visa for Iraq is granted to foreigners only in the case of visits with exclusively tourism related purposes upon submission of the required documents proving the intent of the visit. It enables the holder to enter the country only once in a period of three months and stay maximum one month.
Iraq Visa for Business and Fair Visits
Business visa for Iraq is issued for foreigners who wish to travel to Iraq with the sole purpose of conducting business and commercial activities following successful demonstration of the nature of the visit, possibly supported by a business letter addressed to the Embassy.
Iraq Visa for Visit to Family, Relatives and Friends
Travels to Iraq with the intention of visiting family, relatives or friends can apply for ordinary visa which enables the holder to enter the country once in 90 days period. The holder can reside in Iraq for up to three months upon notifying the Directorate of Residence for his/her arrival within ten days after entry to the Iraqi territory.
Iraq Visa for Cultural, Sports Activities and Participation to Conferences
Travelers who would like to visit Iraq for cultural or sports events can apply for a visit visa which lets entry to the country one time in three months period with the possibility to stay in Iraq for up to one month.
Iraq Visa for Short-term Education and Traineeship
Foreign nationals who would like to visit Iraq for short-term education or training purposes can also apply for the visit visa. They can enter the country one time in 90 days with this sort of visa and can stay in Iraq for up to maximum one month.
Type D (Long-term Stay) Visa
Long-term visa grants its holder the right to enter and stay in Iraq for a period up to one year with multiple entry possibility.
Nationals of third countries who would like to extend his/her stay in Iraq must apply for a residence permit, before the expiry date of the period indicated in their visa, from the Residence Officer.
Foreigners who are in possession of work contracts or other sorts of obligations in Iraq shall not depart without obtaining their exit visa from the competent authority which must conclude that he/she is free to leave.
Iraq Transit Visa
Iraq transit visa enables the holder to enter Iraq only once within a period of three months beginning from the date it was issued for stays not exceeding seven days. On the other hand, non-stop transit visa allows for transit through Iraq along with the competent authorities’ auspices without having to stop and for one-time within a period of three months.
General Requirements to Apply for Iraq Visa
Tourist visa requirements and application procedures for Iraq are explained below. In general, applicants must submit their applications comprising of the requested documents to the Diplomatic Mission or authorized visa application centers in due time. Please bear in mind that the necessary documents may differ depending on the term and purpose of your stay, hence the category of your visa.
Iraq Visa Applications
- A passport with at minimum two blank pages, valid for at least six months and for at least 90 days after the end of travel. Copy of the first page including personal data and previous visas if obtained.
- Completed and signed visa application form along with two biometric photo that is not older than 6 months.
- Proof of travel with confirmed both-way tickets.
- Bank account details proving that the passenger can sufficiently fund his/her travel.
- It is important that the applicant does not pose any threat to the public health, security, morals, or the national economy. Hence, the applicant should not be accused or convicted of a crime.
- Evidence of occupation in the form of certified documents through employer letter, student certificate, document of registration or demonstration of pension funds.
- Accommodation details through an invitation letter or proof of your hotel reservation throughout your stay.
- A letter of intent summarizing the applicant's main reason requesting an entry permit to Iraq, the total length of scheduled stay, name of places to be visited, contact and accommodation information.
- Documentation of travel health insurance.
There are specified documents to include your application in line with your status of employment.
- Employment contract (original certificate of employment indicating the position in the company and the salary)
- Bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Approval letter of leave from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of business license (company registration)
- Company’s bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Documentation of University enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school management
- Pension statement documenting the past 6 months
- Proof of financial resources is nevertheless required
- If the person is not able to finance his/her own expenses, proof of a sponsor is mandatory.
What is Visa Sponsorship for Iraq?
Students or unemployed/retired people who are not in a position to cover their own travel expenses will need to demonstrate support from a sponsor who will borne the full costs. The sponsor is entitled to certain requirements. Hence, only first grade relatives can fulfill this position. You can check our website for all the relevant details.
Iraq Visa Rules
- If an entry-visa for Iraq is issued to children under the age of fifteen, a health certificate that will prove minimum five doses of oral polio vaccine is required.
- All visitors except for those who are travelling with a tourist visa to Iraq must have blood tests for HIV and hepatitis in 10 days following their arrival. The test shall be done repeatedly every 90 days throughout your stay.
- Certain nationals are banned from entry to Iraq. It applies to citizens of Bangladesh and Israel. Nevertheless, the restrictions do not apply to the Iraqi Kurdistan.
- It’s important to take into account that some airlines ask for a visa for Iraq during transit. Therefore, make sure to check with your airlines company before planning your trip.
- Also, entry requirements may change based on decisions of Iraqi authorities and it is strongly advised to have solid information from the local Iraqi diplomatic missions in your country of residence.
Iraq Visa Requirements
In addition to above mentioned application documents, general requirements include:
Iraq Visa requirements for Non-Europeans
Foreigners may plan their trips to Iraq upon fulfilling the above mentioned criterias to obtain an entry visa complying with the nature of their visit.
Iraq Visa for European countries
Citizens of the EU member states are asked for entry visas along with valid passports to visit Iraq and are required to submit the necessary documents.
Iraq Visa requirement for US, UK, and Canadian citizens
- US citizens are asked for an entry visa to travel to Iraq. Additionally, they must have an exit stamp from the Residency Office prior to departure, in the case they will remain in Iraq for a period longer than 10 days. There are fees for exit stamps that change from 20 to 200 USD depending on different factors such as the length of stay and entry visa.
- UK citizens are entitled to visa regulations to visit Iraq, including the Iraqi Kurdistan at the authorised diplomatic missions. However, they can get a visa on arrival only at Erbil or Sulaymaniyah once they fulfill certain conditions such as proof of the necessary documents. They are also required to obtain exit stamps to leave Iraq for stays more than 10 days in the country without extension of their visa.
- Canadian citizens are obliged to have passports that will be valid for minimum 6 months after the date of entry into Iraq and an entry visa issued by competent authorities. They must register at the Directorate of Residence within 10 days after arrival. Moreover, a visa valid for 30 days can be obtained on arrival for entry to Kurdistan Regional Government only from Erbil or Sulaymaniyah International Airport. Beware that it does not permit travelling to other regions in Iraq.
Iraq Visa Fees
The visa fees for Iraq are subject to differentiated prices under certain conditions and depending on the country in which the application will be processed. The visa fee is non-refundable, thus in the case of rejection of your application reimbursements are not available.
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions