NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to North Macedonia?
Although North Macedonia is on the process of being a member of the European Union since 2004, the country is not a part of the EU yet and regulates its own visa policy.
North Macedonia has many bilateral or multilateral visa agreements with different countries all over the world that abolish visa processes. Citizens of listed countries can stay in North Macedonia for up to 90 days or less in 180 days period given that they do not take up employment. These countries are:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Brunei Darussalam
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- El Salvador
- New Zealand
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
*Visa-free transit regime for at least 24 hours across all international airports, up to 72 hours through certain airports.
Citizens of the European Union and Schengen area states can enter, stay, and transit in North Macedonia with their valid national identity cards even if they do not possess a passport.
Temporary or permanent residence holders in a Schengen state and multiple entry Schengen visa holders can stay in North Macedonia for up to 15 days as long as the total duration of their stay does not exceed 90 days in any 180 days period.
In addition to listed countries, holders of valid visas issued by the United Kingdom, Canada, or the United States of America are allowed to stay in North Macedonia for up to 15 days that is limited to 90 days in any 180 days period.
Countries that are not listed above have to apply for a visa beforehand to visit North Macedonia.
North Macedonia Visa Types
We covered North Macedonia visa types that vary depending on the duration and purpose of the stay.
C Type (Short-Term) Visas
Depending on your purpose of visit that is limited to 90 days or less in a 180 days period to North Macedonia; it is possible for you to obtain one of the following visa types.
North Macedonia Touristic Visa
A North Macedonia tourist visa is issued for international tourists who are planning to visit the country for sightseeing purposes and is the most issued type of visa for North Macedonia. It is possible to obtain a North Macedonia tourist visa through consulates, authorized visa companies, or authorized travel agencies.
North Macedonia Business or Fair Participation Visa
A North Macedonia business visa is a type of short-term visa that is required for individuals or groups who are going to attend meetings, trainings, or business-related fairs without labor or gainful employment. Obtaining a business or fair participation visa to Bosnia and Herzegovina requires more documents than other category C visas, including but not limited to proof of trip financing, employee certificate, and an invitation letter from a North Macedonia -based company.
North Macedonia Family, Relative or Friend Visit Visa
A North Macedonia family, relative, or friend visit visa is issued for individuals who wish to visit a family member or a friend residing in the country. In order to get the visa, it is required for applicants to include an invitation letter from the person whom you are visiting in addition to other necessary documents.
North Macedonia Cultural, Sports or Conference Visit Visa
A North Macedonia cultural, sports, or conference visit visa is granted for individuals or groups that are going to attend a cultural event or activity held in North Macedonia. An invitation from the receiving association and confirmation documents from the sending association must be included in the application.
North Macedonia Short-Term Education or Internship Visa
A North Macedonia short-term education or internship visa is issued for students who intended to study in the country for educational purposes. The applicant has to include documents of sufficient means of subsistence, proof of adequate accommodation as well as an admission letter from the receiving institution.
D Type (Long-Term) Visa
North Macedonia category D visas are required for stays that exceed a three month period with varying purposes in North Macedonia even if the applicant’s nationality is on the visa-free list. It is possible for you to apply for a long-term visa to North Macedonia if you are one of the following:
- A student planning to study at a higher education institution, have a language course, or long-term internship
- An employee going to work for a North Macedonia-located business or for seasonal employment
- An academic, researcher, or scientist to work in a certified North Macedonia research center
- An individual whose first-degree family member is a North Macedonia citizen
- A patient going to receive a long-term medical treatment in a North Macedonia-located medical institution
- A private entrepreneur who is a founder of a legal or physical entity that will provide economic benefit to North Macedonia
North Macedonia Transit Visa
A North Macedonia transit visa is asked from individuals whose nationality is not eligible to transit another destination from North Macedonia. A North Macedonia transit visa authorizes the individual to travel a third country from the territory of North Macedonia for up to five days stay period and can be issued for one or multiple transits.
General Requirements to Apply for North Macedonia Visa
In order to successfully obtain a North Macedonia visa, it is important to be prepared and gather all the necessary information regarding your nationality and purpose of the visit beforehand. There are certain stages to obtain a North Macedonia visa:
Make an Appointment
It is always important to plan ahead and contact the relevant consulate for an appointment via phone or email since you are required to bring original documents in person.
Finalize Your Application
There will be an interview held at the relevant consulate to confirm your purpose of stay as well as the required documents.
Receive Your Visa
After processing time, your application will be reviewed and you will be informed about the outcome. If your visa application is confirmed, you will be called back to the consulate to receive the visa that is affixed to your passport.
North Macedonia Visa Applications
You are required to present the following documents if your nationality is not eligible for a visa-free entry to North Macedonia:
- A duly completed visa application form
- A valid passport
- Travel insurance documents issued by legal insurance entity of the country of residence
- A notarized letter of invitation from person, entity, or institution if applicable
- Proof of sufficient financial means
- A photo sized 3,5 x 4,5 cm in white background with a visible face
- Payment receipts for visa fees
There are additionally required or supporting documents from certain applicants:
- Proof of employment such as work contract if applicable
- Bank statement of the last six months
- A copy of the last income tax or relevant bank statements or documents
- Proof of business such as bank statements, invoices or receipts
- Proof of enrollment and no objection certificate from the registered school
- Sponsorship documents if the applicant cannot support himself/herself financially during the period of the stay
- Proof of pension of the last six months
What is Visa Sponsorship for North Macedonia?
Visa sponsorship is required in North Macedonia if the applicant cannot cover his/her expenses for educational or touristic purposes by own in the duration of the stay. A sponsor could be a parent, sibling, other relatives, or a friend. However, it would increase chances to obtain a visa if the sponsor is a first-degree relative or has a permanent residence permit or citizenship in North Macedonia or a Schengen country. The required documents from the sponsor are:
- A signed sponsorship letter that clearly states the relationship with the applicant, information on how and what expenses going to be covered, personal and contact info of both the applicant and the sponsor, and accommodation details of the applicant
- A scanned copy of the ID
- Proof of sufficient funds such as bank statements or payroll
- Proof of estate or business ownership if applicable
- Signatory circulars
Visa sponsorship for North Macedonia can also be granted for long-term or short-term stays regarding business, legal, or cultural purposes by legal entities, businesses, or individuals. You can check our website for more details about visa sponsorships.
North Macedonia Visa Rules
There are many countries across the globe can enter North Macedonia without a visa. If your country is not eligible for visa-free entry to North Macedonia, you need to obtain a North Macedonia visa and take consideration of the following visa rules:
- The passport should be valid for more than three months from the expected day of arrival to North Macedonia.
- Visa applications should be submitted at least fifteen days before the beginning of the intended trip
- The passport should not be older than ten years and contain at least two blank pages.
North Macedonia Visa Requirements
North Macedonia Visa Requirements for Schengen and EU Countries
Citizens of Schengen and EU countries should not have any problems while entering North Macedonia since they are eligible for a visa-free entry to the country.
North Macedonia Visa Requirements for US, UK, and Canada
Citizens of the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada can visit North Macedonia without a visa if:
- Their passport is valid for more than three months from the expected time of arrival to North Macedonia,
- They can provide proof of sufficient financial means,
- Purpose of visit is clear and well-documented.
North Macedonia Visa Requirements for Mexico Citizens
Mexico citizens with a permanent residence permit issued by Canada, United States, Japan, United Kingdom, Chile, Colombia, Peru, and any Schengen Member State or with a valid visa issued by Canada, Japan, USA, United Kingdom or a Schengen Member State can enter North Macedonia without a visa.
North Macedonia Visa Fees
North Macedonia short-stay visa types listed below exclusively include the visa. Keep in mind that there might be additional payments expected from the applicant such as consular fees, service fees of the outsourced visa companies, or application form fees.
The current North Macedonia visa fees valid as of March 2020 are as follows:
|Short Stay Visa
|Short Stay Visa for Children Aged 6-12
|Long Stay Visa
|Long Stay Visa for Children Aged 6-12
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions