NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Jordan?
In general, nationals of all foreign countries are requested to apply for entry visas in order to travel to Jordan. Some countries are exempted from visa regulations while some are entitled to apply for visa on-arrival that permits traveler to stay in the country a maximum period of two months as part of the visa-regimes established between bilateral countries. Citizens coming from Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and United Arab Emirates are exempted from visa fees for visits up to 90 days within 180 days. Holders of passports from Egypt, Israel and Palestine can travel to Jordan visa-free for up to only 30 days.
Jordan Visa Types
Jordan visa types for short term stays include tourist/visitor visa, business visa, student visa and work visa. Single, double or multiple-entry visas distinguish the term of stay of its holder. Accordingly single entry visa enables one time travel to Jordan valid for one month, double entry visa is used for three months and multiple entry visa allows for travels up to six months. Please double check with the Jordanian diplomatic mission in your country to make sure about your visa type.
Type C (Short-term Stay) Visa
Short-term visa is issued for predetermined periods in line with the applicant’s request for stays that are not exceeding 90 days. All types of visas can be obtained from the diplomatic missions authorized in applicant’s country of residence.
Jordan Tourist Visa
Jordan tourist/visit visa is issued to foreigners who would like to travel to the country solely for tourism and entertainment related purposes. It grants the traveler to stay in Jordan for up to three months depending on the term of visa.
Jordan Visa for Business and Fair Visits
Jordan business visa is given to foreigners who wish to visit the country to attend business meetings or venture into business investments. An official business cover letter written on a paper with company letterhead is needed to demonstrate the purpose of your visit, possibly provided by the host organization.
Jordan Visa for Visit to Family, Relatives and Friends
Travels to Jordan by third country nationals with the intention of visiting family, relatives or friends should apply for a visit visa. It enables the holder to enter the country upon submission of a valid invitation by the host that shall detail the purpose of the visit.
Jordan Visa for Cultural, Sports Activities and Participation to Conferences
Travelers from third countries who would like to visit Jordan to participate cultural or sports related events shall apply for a visitor visa as well.
Jordan Visa for Short-term Education and Traineeship
Citizens of third countries who would like to go to Jordan for short-term education or training purposes are entitled to apply for a student visa. Those who would like to remain in Jordan for extended periods should obtain a long term visa.
Type D (Long-term Stay) Visa
Long-term visa grants its holder the right to enter to Jordan for extended periods.
Therefore, students who are wishing to study at the top-notch Jordanian education institutes can apply for student visas upon receiving admission to a study program. Long term visas usually do not exceed one year and those who seek to stay longer must apply for a residence permit from authorized bodies, before the expiry date of the period indicated in their visa.
Work/employment visa can be obtained upon the request of the employer. The company who intends to hire the foreign nationals shall submit the application on behalf of its employee with the demonstration of a viable contract. An official work permit should be issued by the Ministry of Labor in line with the Art. 12 of the Labor Law in Jordan. However, there are strict conditions with regards to the eligible conditions as explained below:
- The employer must prove that the vacancy cannot be filled by any other Jordanian worker due to the lack of required experience and qualification or,
- The number of Jordanian workers who are eligible for the vacancy are not sufficient thus, it fails to meet the needs of the corporation.
Jordan Transit Visa
Transit visa allows the passengers to change flights at the international zone of another country. Jordan does not require a transit if the traveler has a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 48 hours. The traveler must have a travel document or passport that is valid for minimum six months after the travel dates, travel tickets and a visa if necessary for the next destination.
General Requirements to Apply for Jordan Visa
Tourist visa requirements to visit Jordan can be found in detail below. The required documents may change depending on the length and purpose of your stay, in other words the category of your visa. The diplomatic missions maintain their right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.
Jordan Visa Applications
- A passport or travel document with at minimum two blank pages, valid for at least six months and for at least 90 days after the end of travel. Copy of the first page including personal data and previous visas if obtained.
- Completed and signed visa application form along with two biometric photo that is not older than 6 months.
- Proof of travel with confirmed both-way tickets.
- Bank account details proving that the passenger can sufficiently fund his/her travel.
- It is important that the applicant does not pose any threat to the public health, security, morals, or the national economy. Hence, the applicant should not be accused or convicted of a crime.
- Evidence of occupation in the form of certified documents through employer letter, student certificate, document of registration or demonstration of pension funds.
- Accommodation details through an invitation letter or proof of your hotel reservation throughout your stay.
- Documentation of travel health insurance that is valid in Jordan throughout the entire period of stay.
Specific documents to enclose your application may differ depending on your employment status.
- Employment contract (original certificate of employment indicating the position in the company and the salary)
- Bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Approval letter of leave from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of business license (company registration)
- Company’s bank account statement of the past 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Documentation of University enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school management
- Pension statement documenting the past 6 months
- Proof of financial resources is nevertheless required
- If the person is not able to finance his/her own expenses, proof of a sponsor is mandatory.
What is Visa Sponsorship for Jordan?
Students or unemployed/retired people who are not in a position to cover their own travel expenses will need to demonstrate support from a sponsor who will borne the full costs. The sponsor is entitled to certain requirements. Hence, only first grade relatives can fulfill this position. You can check our website for all the relevant details.
Jordan Visa Rules
- The government of Jordan introduced visa waivers for travelers organizing visits through Jordanian tour operators no matter if they will be travelling individually or within a group. The travelers are expected to stay for minimum of two nights in Jordan.
- Jordan Pass is an initiative aimed at encouraging visits for longer terms to Jordan sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism. It encompasses a single-entry visa for the citizens of countries who are eligible for visa upon arrival and a free pass to the major tourist highlights. The pass allows visitors to stay in Jordan for up to 30 days per entry. Moreover, it is valid for up to one year. It can be purchased online.
- Lebanese citizens can travel to Jordan with their ID cards and without any visa restrictions.
- Israeli entry/exit stamps on travelers’ passports may cause some difficulties to visit Jordan and other Middle Eastern countries,most notably, Lebanon, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iraq. However, Jordanian authorities have the right to to determine the right of entry into the country.
- An HIV test for stays exceeding 30 days may be required. Currently, the fee to get the health certificate is 20 Jordanian Dinars.
- Please keep in mind that the entry requirements may change based on decisions of the authorities and it is strongly advised to have solid information from the local diplomatic missions in your country of residence prior to your departure.
Jordan Visa Requirements
In addition to above mentioned application documents, general requirements include:
Jordan Visa requirements for Israeli and Palestinian Citizens
Israeli and Palestinians are eligible to obtain visas on arrival.
Jordan Visa for European countries
Citizens of the EU member states are obliged to apply for entry visas although most European countries are eligible to apply for visa on arrival. They can travel along with national passports that is valid for at least six months following the date of their visit in Jordan.
Jordan Visa requirement for US, UK, and Canadian citizens
US, Canadian and UK citizens are not exempted from visa requirements to travel to Jordan. A passport that is valid for at least six months after the travel date is requested.
- US citizens holding US passports are issued single-entry visas to visit Jordan upon arrival at Queen Alia International Airport. However, multiple entry visas shall be requested in advance at the authorised Embassy or Consulate. Financial restrictions for entry include requirement of declarations in the case of sums exceeding JOD10,000 or the equivalent in other currencies. Visa upon arrival are valid for 30-day stays.
- UK citizens holding UK passports are issued single-entry visa on arrival at the airports or the Sheikh Hussein/North Border crossing on the Jordan/Israel border. Single-entry visa on arrival is valid for 30 days. Multiple-entry visa can be obtained from the Embassy of Jordan in one’s country of residence. The term of stay can be prolonged upon request.
- Canadian citizens holding Canadian passports can also get single-entry visas upon arrival at certain airports. Canadian tourist visa is valid for up to 30 days.
Jordan Visa Fees
The visa fees vary depending on the type of required visa. As of March 2020, Jordan visa fee comprises of the processing costs and the Consular expenses. Please be aware that the visa fee is non-refundable.
|Single Entry Visa
||40 JD (approximately 56 USD)
|Double Entry Visa
||60 JD (approximately 85 USD)
|Multiple Entry Visa
||120 (approximately 170 USD)
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions