NOTE: Please visit our page for information on flight restrictions and flight dates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have taken all the measures for healthy flying and we kindly ask that you follow the related guidelines during your travels. Please click the banner below for more information.
Do I Need a Visa to Travel to Greece?
Greece is a party to Schengen Agreement; hence, U.S. citizens may enter Greece without a visa for stays up to ninety days for business or tourism stays. For your entry into Greece, your passport should have at least 6 months of due validity.
Greece Visa Types
Greece Schengen Visa (Category C Visa - For Short Stay Visits)
Schengen area signifies the free travel area established by most European Union member states where freedom of movement is granted. Schengen visa permits visitors to travel in Schengen area for stays up to 90 days for tourism or business proposes.
Hence, passengers who wants to travel to Greece for business-related or touristic visits are required to hold Schengen visa for stays up to 90 days within a period of 180 day. The Schengen visa is also required in the case of airport transits. It enables free movement of people within the official boundaries of the European Union member states which are included in the Schengen zone.
- Airport Transit Visa: An Airport Transit Schengen Visa is a permission designated for travellers that should change flights at a Schengen airport. It enables passengers to stop and wait in the international transit area of a Schengen airport for their flight to the destination country.
- Business Visa: Those who would like to apply for the Schengen visa with the purpose of doing business in the Schengen area may apply Business visa. It is usually valid for stays up to 90 days.
- Tourist Visa: is consented to third country citizens who seek to visit the Schengen areas for travel and for stays not exceeding 90 days.
- Visitor Visa: is required for the third country citizens who would like to travel to the Schengen states for visiting family members, relatives and/or friends. In that case, a letter of invitation by the person you’ll be visiting is compulsory. Visitor visa enables people to stay up to 90 days within 6 months.
- Schengen Medical Treatment Visa: permits the holder to receive medical treatment for healthcare cases in one of the Schengen states and for stays up to 90 days. It requires a local health check statement and a confirmation from the hospital in Greece, affirming your date.
- Cultural, Sportive, Film Crew or Religious Travel Visa: is obtained for short term cultural visits allowing the holder to attend cultural, entertainment, sports and religion events. It may require an letter of invitation from authorities in the nature of things and the terms of stay are restricted to 90 days.
Greece Category D Visa- For Long Stay Visits
- Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes: are requested for the third country citizens who would like to stay in Greece for education purposes. An enrolment certificate and financial sustenance are among the prerequisites for applying this type of visa. Holders are entitled to apply for residence allowance for stays exceeding 90 days.
- Employment Visa: are granted to non-EU citizens who fulfil the particular conditions to be eligible for working in Greece. An employment contract binding offer and current bank account assertion of the last six months are required along with a leave of approval letter from employer.
- Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Greek citizen: requires a Greek marriage certificate along with Greek family record book and Proof of nationality (ID card or consular card or statement of Greek citizenship or naturalization order)
- Visa for Under-Age Children: requires proof of parent’s regular receipts and notarized travel permission from foster. If one of the parent inhabits in some other country, their notarized parental travel permission is also requested.
General Requirements to Apply for Greece Visa
An overview of Greek touristic visa requirements and application procedures are explained for specific categories below. In the main, applicant must submit their application comprising of the requested document file to the VFS Global Visa Application Center, Consular Office of the Greek Embassy. Please keep in mind that the required documents may differ depending on the term of your stay, hence the type of the visa you apply. Short-term stays are included in the category C of Schengen visa rules.
Greece Visa Applications
- Online Schengen Visa Application form with 2 photos attached: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/download-schengen-visa-application-form/
- Your passport with minimum two blank pages and previous visas’ copies – valid for minimum 3 months.
- Confirmed travel medical insurance of at least 30,000 € scope of guarantee in Greece and the rest of the Schengen area.
- A cover letter which states the travel plan and aim of visit to Greece.
- Proof of civil status (ration card if applicable, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, marriage certificate, etc.)
- Flight travel guidebook with flight numbers and dates stating your entry and exit from Greece.
- Hotel booking for the time period you are planning to stay in Greece.
- Proof of adequate fiscal space for your intended time in Greece.
Moreover, there are specific documents to attach to your application document file depending on your status of employment.
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Employment contract
- Income Tax Return form or Certificate of Income Tac deducted at the source of salary
- Leave of approval letter from employer
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- A copy of your business license
- Income Tax Return
If a student:
- Proof of enrolment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Retirement statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular statement of the latest 6 months
For medical mobility:
- Fee of 225€ + 2.4% additional charges
- Copy of passport or identity card certified by Greek Official Embassies
- An official copy of High School diploma
- A certified copy of the degree to be recognised
- An official transcript
*Note: The application form should be accompanied the compulsory documents and granted individually at the suited embassy/consulate.
*Note: Other extra documents depending upon the purpose of your Greek Visa application may be required.
What is visa sponsorship for Greece?
If applicable sponsor is required to demonstrate the main motive of your visit to Greece and support your application procedure.
This term is basically used for the ones who cover all the expenses for people who do not have an income certificate to pay expenses during travel abroad. Most of the countries, particularly Schengen members demand information during visa applications or students who do not have income.
Who Can Be a Visa Sponsor?
One of your first degree relatives (mother, father, wife, husband, children…) can be visa sponsors. In cases where there is not a first-degree relative, your legal guardian can be sponsor with stated documents.
Sponsor Documents for Schengen Visa
- Sponsor’s business documents
- An original-signed letter written by the sponsor
- Sponsor’s signatory circulars
- Documents which states financial status
- A sample of the sponsor’s current certificate or identity register copy
Greece Visa Rules
- Visa applicants shall individually apply for their visa submissions in due time, with all the required documents, at VFS Global Visa Application Center or Consular Office of the Greek Embassy.
- Your passport should have minimum two blank pages and it should not be older than 10 years.
- It is usually necessary to have a passport which is valid for at least 3 months after the expected date of exit from the Schengen area.
Greece Visa Requirements
Greece Visa Requirements for Non-Europeans:
- The general information for non-Europeans seeking for entry to EU conform to above mentioned procedure. For further details, visit the links:
Greece Visa Requirements for European countries:
- Citizens of European countries can benefit from visa-free travel opportunities within the borders of the EU.
Greece Visa requirements for US, UK, and Canadian citizens:
- As a US citizenship owner, you can apply for a Greece Schengen visa up to 90 days for touristic or business related purposes without a visa if your US passport is valid minimum 3 months.
- Although UK is not a Schengen member, British citizens can travel across Europe visa-free up to 90 days if you have a 3 month UK visa.
- If you are a Canadian citizen, you can travel within 90 days with your Canadian passport for touristic and business-related purposes.
Greece Visa Requirements for Russian citizens:
- Greece is offering long-term Schengen visa for Russians who apply. The only requirement for Russian citizens is that the applicant must have visited a Europe country previously at least once.
Greece Visa Fees
You can pay visa fee in the stated embassy/consulate via hard cash, cash card or credit card.
From March 2020 on, you can find different fees below for Greece Schengen visas. However, please keep in mind that under some specific conditions, some applicants may be exempt from visa fees or benefit from reduced fee prices.
|Child between 6-12 years
|Child younger than 6 years of age
|Diplomatic, official or service passport holders
|Family member of EU/EEA national
|Pupils, students and teachers who company on a school trip
|Researchers traveling for scientific purposes
|Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia Citizens
Fees stated above are constant and cannot be changed until the Schengen member countries decide else altogether.
NOTE: This article was prepared in March 2020. Please check up-to-date information published by official sources.
Frequently Asked Questions