Transport in Naples
As one of Italy's largest cities, Naples has a sprawling, if not a little complicated public transport system. You can travel between districts using the bus, tram, metro and funicular systems. Visit the Naples tourism office for up-to-date information on the city's public transport. You can buy tickets for public transport at the kiosks and vending machines at public transport stops.
What to Eat in Naples
- Pizza: Italy is the birthplace of pizza, so you simply can't leave without trying it Neapolitan style! There are a huge range of toppings to try, so go for what sounds good!
- Fritti: Fritti means ""fried"". On the streets of Naples you'll find many fritti stalls offering these delicious little bites. There are many varieties, but you can be sure they're all delicious. If you're looking for a cheap snack in Naples, visit a fritti stall.
- Sfogliatelle: This Italian dessert made using very thin layers of dough is well worth trying while in Naples.
- Pasta: Just like pizza, Italy is famous for its pasta. The pasta dishes on offer in Naples are countless, so try as many as you can. You might even want to take some of Napoli's famous pasta back with you in your suitcase.
- Minestra Maritata: This soup is traditionally served at weddings and is prepared using meat and vegetables.
Where to Eat in Naples
- Quartieri Spagnoli: Naples' best restaurants and many historical monuments are located in this area. If you see clothes hanging from the windows, you're wandering in the right streets.
- Via dei Tribunali: There are many bars and restaurants along this busy street. Be sure to try at least one restaurant on Via dei Tribunali during your visit.
- Via Mergellina: Many of the best restaurants in Naples are on this seafront street.
Places to see
Places to Visit in Naples
- Piazza del Plebiscito: Piazza del Plebiscito is the heart of the city and where historical sites such as the Royal Palace (Palazzo Reale) are located.
- Mount Vesuvius: You can see one of the wildest beauties in the world on your trip to Naples. Mount Vesuvius is an active volcano which erupted in 79 AD, placing Pompeii in the dark pages of history.
- National Archaeological Museum: Naples National Archaeological Museum is another must-see in the city. If you want to learn about the Roman period and even what came before, add this museum to your list of things to do in the city.
- Castel Nuovo: There are many castles to visit in Naples, but the most spectacular of these is Castel Nuovo.
- San Carlo Theatre (Teatro di San Carlo): You can't go to Italy without taking in an opera. We recommend spending an evening at the San Carlo Theatre on your trip to Naples.